Summary of Key End Times Prophecy
According to Key Bible Texts the end of the age will see the following events:
- increasing spiritual darkness across all nations
- widespread lawlessness
- increasing famines and plagues
- increasing persecution of Christians and Jews
- the return of the Jews to the land of Israel and the re-birth of Israel
- a false (apostate) church
- the sudden and miraculous removal of the true church from the earth
- a godless and ruthless world government with total control over individuals
- a godless and blasphemous world dictator
- a seven-year Peace Treaty with Israel, which is then broken mid-term
- a purely electronic i.e. cashless trading system, with the insertion of an ‘ID’ on individuals
- a global financial-economic crash
- a possible Islamic invasion of Israel, followed by an ‘all-nation’ invasion of Israel (Armageddon)
- God’s judgement upon nations: cataclysmic events such as severe weather and severe earthquakes
End Times Prophecy Coming True
18 End Time Signs
The following interpretation of end times prophecy is consistent with many scriptures and is compatible with current world events. The latter point is particularly important because other interpretations fail to accommodate current world events i.e. they cannot explain reality. Here are 18 signs of prophecy coming true. No attempt is made to attach a time sequence to these prophecies.
1. Worldwide Spiritual Darkness
darkness shall cover the earth, and deep darkness the peopleIsaiah 60:2
Sadly, the governments of many ‘Christianised’ nations are steadily abandoning biblical truth. Absolute biblical truth on morality, link is now replaced by humanistic ‘equality’ legislation, and the biblical concept of creation is treated as a myth and evolutionary theory treated as fact, link. Most institutionalised western churches are in decline and biblical faith is being replaced by eastern religions, or no faith at all. The west is being dominated by Satanic blackness – humanism, multiculturalism, relativism, evolutionism, religious pluralism and political correctness, link, link.
2. Worldwide Pollution
The earth is also polluted by its inhabitantsIsaiah 24:5
This has happened within the last 50 years. The world now suffers from chemical, nuclear, plastic and air pollution. Examples:
Chemical Pollution: the 1984 Bhopal disaster in India was the world’s worst chemical disaster. Today in Bhopal, more than 100,000 people remain chronically ill, link, and there are over 6,000 high-risk chemical sites across the U.S. link.
Nuclear Pollution: after 1986 an area some 80 km x 80 km around the Chernobyl nuclear plant became an exclusion zone due to soil pollution by Caesium 137. This was the world’s worst nuclear accident and was caused by human error, link. Large-scale Soviet nuclear tests, dumping of spent fuel and two scuttled nuclear-powered submarines are a major source of pollution in the Arctic ocean, link.
Contamination from the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster, link affected an area nearly as big as Cyprus and included some 6,500 villages. Water samples from the Western Pacific region show radioactive Caesium 137 and 134, as well as Strontium 90, link.
Plastic Pollution: Plastics make up 80% of all marine debris, every day 8 million pieces of plastic find their way into the oceans, microplastics are now embedded deep in the Arctic and in municipal drinking water – yet – plastic production is forecast to grow by 60% by 2030, link. In 2015 China had the worst record for mismanaged plastic [Jambeck Science, 2015].
Air Pollution: In 2010 lung cancer resulting from air pollution took the lives of 223,000 people worldwide link. Air pollution now kills more people than AIDS and malaria combined link. In 2013 air pollution in China reached crisis levels. In the city of Harbin, levels of PM2.5 (the fine air born particulate matter that poses a great risk to human health) reached 40 times the levels tolerated by the WHO, link.
The NASA image shows the average global concentrations of tropospheric carbon monoxide during March 2013. It reached 300 parts per billion per volume (ppbv) over China. In the UK, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide emissions from 30 million vehicles is a major problem. Air pollution fatalities now exceed traffic fatalities 3:1 [Earth Policy Institute]. The view from space is becoming marred by smoke and dust [NASA]. Mercury pollution (from coal-fired power stations) is a huge threat to health [UN].
3. Knowledge and Travel Increase
But you, Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book until the time of the end; many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increaseDaniel 12:4
This is clearly an ‘end times prophecy’ and few can deny it has come to pass. Over the past 100 years or so we see an amazing increase in knowledge:
In technology: satellite communications, radar, motion pictures, recording, TV, telecommunications, cell phones, the internet, electron microscopes, computers, EFTPOS, nuclear power, solar power, fuel injection, jet aircraft …
In medical science: MRI scans, ultrasound, pacemakers, radiotherapy, IVF, artificial hearts, DNA, organ transplants, vaccines against major killers (typhoid, cholera, polio, smallpox)… The US saw a 14-fold reduction in death from infectious disease over the 20th century [University of Maryland].
In space science: rockets, satellites, spaceships, space stations, radio telescopes. NASA has developed technologies that benefit society in health and medicine, transportation, public safety, consumer goods, environmental and agricultural resources, computer technology and industrial productivity.
Inventions: US Patents: 1900-1920: 25,000 , 1995-1998: 150,000 [University of Maryland].
Annual air travel in the US: 1950: less than 100 miles/person, 1978: 1000 miles/person, 2000: 1500 miles/person.
100 years ago commercial air travel was unheard of; now there are typically 100,000 commercial flights each day!
Projected growth: In 2018 the International Air Transport Association (IATA) revealed that present trends in air transport suggest passenger numbers could double to 8.2 billion in 2037. The Asia-Pacific region will drive the biggest growth. Translated to aircraft fuel consumption, growth means 130 million tonnes in 1992, increasing to 450 million tonnes by 2050.
Tourism is the world’s largest industry: annual revenue of $500 billion, and is one of the major sources of foreign exchange in 83% of countries. This is a clear fulfilment of Daniel’s end time prophecy:
International tourism: 1950: 25m , 2003: 693m , 2020: 1.6 billion [WTO].
4. False Christs and Cults
Many false prophets will arise and will mislead manyMatthew 24:5,11
Over the past 2000 years there have been dozens of people who have claimed to be the prophesied Christ, or a Messiah under the umbrella of Christianity. To name a few:
- Aldebert (8th century)
- Tanchelm of Antwerp (c1110)
- Haile Selassie of Ethiopia (1892-1975)
- Sun Myung Moon (born 1920)
- Inri Cristo (born 1948)
- David Koresh (1959-1993)
5. Worldwide Proclamation of the Gospel
This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world … and then the end will comeMatthew 24.14
Parts of the Bible are now available in more than 2,400 languages, covering some 98% of the world’s population, link, and this message is available worldwide using various technologies:
- Local AM and FM radio in towns and cities
- International shortwave Christian radio, such as HCJB and FEBC
- Satellite platforms carrying Christian radio and TV
- The Internet
Today some 33% of the world population call themselves ‘Christian’. During the 20th century the number of Christians in Africa, Asia and Latin America increased ten-fold, and today Asia has the fastest-growing churches in the world, link. Sadly, much of the western world, particularly Europe, is often regarded as post-Christian.
6. Famines and Pandemics
there will be famines and pestilencesLuke 21:11
Famine is one of the seven seals of judgement of God, and is symbolised by a shortage of wheat and barley in Revelation 6:6. Already about 1 in 8 people are already suffering from chronic undernourishment, link, and global warming studies estimate that half of the world’s population could face severe food shortages by the end of this century, link.
In Luke 21:11 the Greek word translated ‘pestilences’ means any sudden fatal epidemic. Epidemics that span across international boundaries are called pandemics. In 1918 the Spanish Flu pandemic killed over 50 million people, link. Since then the world has seen SARS, the avian flu pandemic in 2007, the swine flu (H1N1) pandemic from Mexico in 2009, and the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. An increase in pandemics is expected, partly due to increase in air travel.
7. Increased Lawlessness
Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow coldMatthew 24:12
The Good News
Overall levels of crime in England and Wales have fallen in recent decades [www.ons.gov.uk], and the aggravated assault rate in the United States has fallen significantly since 1990, link.
The Bad News
- 9/11 was the worst ever act of terrorism
- Recorded annual offences in England and Wales:
1920: 0.1m , 1950: 0.5m , 1980: 2.5m , 2005: 10.8m [gov.uk]
- Total recorded crime in England and Wales in 2009 was about 5,000% above the 1900 level [NCRS]
- Aggravated assault per 100,000 people in the USA: 1957: 60 , 1992: 440 [FBI]
- For 2000-2009, terrorist attacks against Americans show over 900% increase on 1970-79 levels [link]
- Each day 135,000 American children bring a gun to school
- Fatal terrorist attacks worldwide: 1972: 200 , 1982: 1000 , 1992: 2000 , 2002: 600 , 2007: 2000 , 2014: 45000 [link, link]
- Terrorist incidents worldwide increased five-fold between 1970 and 2015 [link]
- Since 2012, the largest percentage of the world’s terrorist activities have been conducted by jihadist groups [link]
- Cybercrime will cost the world $10.5 trillion annually by 2025 [cybersecurityventures.com]
It appears that despite possible recent decreases in domestic crimes, there is an alarming increase in international crime and terrorism.
8. Persecution of Christians
They will lay their hands on you and will persecute youLuke 21:12-19
Although Christians have been persecuted for 2,000 years, they are now the most persecuted religious group in the world, link. Some 26 million Christians were martyred during the 20th century – more than the combined total of all previous centuries. Today, one Christian is killed every 11 minutes!
The 10-40 Window: Today much of the persecution occurs in the 10-40 window link (from West Africa and across Asia) where religious liberty is restricted. There are 1.6 billion Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists living in this window, link, and in some countries the Church has almost been eliminated as a result of Islamic or atheistic oppression.
Westernised Nations: A more subtle form of persecution is now occurring in secular Europe due to EU Equality Directives, link – which are void of biblical morality. In the UK for example, Christians are losing employment under Equality Law for simply holding to their Christian ethos in the workplace, link. In both the USA and Europe, persecution is growing via the media, entertainment industry, educational authorities, and the police. Examples worldwide:
- 1998: 500 Christian churches burned down in Java
- 2000: 800 homes and stores owned by Christians destroyed in Poso, Central Sulawesi
- 2005: 175,000 Christians were martyred worldwide [Int. Journal of Missionary Research]
- 2008: 200 million Christians worldwide in danger of being tortured, persecuted, or killed [Idea, EA]
- 2010: Nigerian Christians suffered terror from Muslim extremists. Whole village massacred
- In China, 60-100 million risk their lives and liberty to worship in underground house churches [Focus on the Family]
9. Sudden Removal of the True Church
There is a mysterious end times prophecy that describes something literally ‘out of this world’. It is so mysterious that many institutionalised churches ignore it. On the other hand, many evangelical Christians who watch unfolding prophecy believe in the sudden and miraculous removal of the true church (true believers) from the earth:
Two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken the other leftMatthew 24:40-41
This is sometimes described by the English word ‘rapture’, derived from the Latin verb ‘rapere,’ meaning ‘to carry off’ (in a friendly way). Founded upon scriptures like Matthew 24, the rapture concept embraces the idea that the second coming of Jesus takes place in two separate stages (sometimes taken to be 7 years apart).
The context in Matthew 24 is of people working and living normally until something totally unexpected and supernatural happens. So it implies the 666 mark of Revelation for buying and selling has not yet been introduced. Although some dispute this concept, link, there is strong justification for such a prophetic interpretation, link.
10. End Times Prophecy of a Godless World Government
Many prophecies point to a godless and ruthless world government, link with total control over individuals:
and the fourth kingdom shall be as strong as iron … and crush all others”Daniel 2:40, Revelation 13:1
and expect this to be ruled by a godless and blasphemous world dictator link:
he opened his mouth in blasphemy against GodRevelation 13:6
Albert Einstein said:
There is no solution for civilisation or even the human race, other than the creation of world government
By this he inferred that all humankind should be united under one common political authority. Today, many organisations are working towards World Government e.g. NATO, the UN, the IMF, the Bilderberg Group, the Trilateral Commission, the Club of Rome, the Illuminati, the World Bank, the World Trade Organisation, the World Health Organisation, the World Council of Churches, link.
See the video for a detailed white-board presentation of the biblical facts. It’s YOUR choice in the end!
11. A False World Church
A false (apostate) world church is emerging, link
I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast … and on her forehead a name written ‘Babylon the Great’Revelation 17:5
Many see this being formed via the Ecumenical Movement and headed by the Roman Catholic church. And, like Wycliffe, Luther, Calvin, Tyndale, Bunyan, Huss, Knox, Edwards and Wesley, many identify the Papacy with the Antichrist (the second beast in Revelation 13).
12. End Times Prophecy of Electronic ID for Trading
This is probably one of the most discussed and feared concepts in prophecy:
And he causes all … to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead … and no one will be able to buy or sell, except the one who has the mark …Revelation 13:16-17
Cards and Biometrics: Cashless transactions via magnetic-stripe cards were introduced in the 1980’s. Today ‘chip and PIN’ smart cards are widespread, enhanced around 2020 by “contact-less” card transactions not requiring a PIN.
But cards can be lost or stolen and a way of avoiding this is to link a person’s identity to their physical characteristics (Biometrics) – such as fingerprint identification, facial recognition, or iris recognition. In this respect, the International Biometrics and Identity Association, IBIA, advances the adoption and responsible use of technologies for managing human identity.
But biometric authentication relies on statistical algorithms and therefore cannot be 100 %-reliable when used alone [thalesgoup.com, 2020]. For example, facial recognition can fail when the person cuts their hair or grows a beard. Clearly, a method of identifying each person by number seems much less prone to error.
Radio Frequency Identification (RFID): This technology is closer to that implied in end times prophecy. A seemingly attractive trading system would be to number each individual and then detect their number remotely when automatic payment is required. Current technology uses RFID and is human implantable. These low-cost chips (the size of a grain of rice) are used to tag animals, but they can also be embedded in people. Moreover, technologies now exist to place the ID on the skin surface.
A scanner energises the chip, which then returns a radio signal containing the person’s ID number, which in turn is fed to a computer database. An example of this technology was ‘VeriChip’ from Applied Digital Solutions. Its marketing was discontinued in 2010, possibly for privacy, health and social reasons (the ability to remotely scan personal data could be a security risk). The most suitable location on a human being would be on the hand or forehead. Clearly, this technology is only a short step from the technology described in Revelation 13.
13. Sudden Global Financial Collapse
the merchants of the earth will weep and mourn … for no one buys their merchandise anymore … in one hour such great riches came to nothingRevelation 18:11,17
The global government (public) debt is rapidly increasing, link, leading to sudden global financial meltdown, link. “You will never foresee these things – the system is ultimately just too complicated for anybody to really understand” [Martin Wolf, Financial Times, London] link.
14. End Time Prophecy of Extreme Weather – Climate Change
The inhabitants of the earth are burned … men were scorched with fierce heatIsaiah 24:6, Revelation 16:8-9,21
Climate change is the most severe problem that we are facing todaySir David King, UK Government Chief Scientific Advisor
Severe Storms: Increased temperature brings increased storm severity, and hurricane forecast models, link indicate a tendency for more intense hurricanes due to increased energy obtained from warmer seas [RealClimate]. Since the 1970’s there has been a marked increase in the intensity and duration of tropical storms, including North American hurricanes. The number of category 4 and 5 hurricanes has nearly doubled since 1970 [MIT]. So, if there is further warming, the world can expect increased storm activity:
There will be … dismay among nations, in perplexity at the roaring of the sea and the wavesLuke 21:5
Increased Drought: The area of the earth’s surface affected by drought has more than doubled since the 1970’s [Nat. Geographic].
The earth mourns and withers, the world fades and withersIsaia 24:1-4
- Lake Chad in Africa has shrunk to 5% of its size in the 1960’s [Nat. Geographic]
- Partly due to over-exploitation of groundwater, water tables are falling on every continent: 1.5m/yr in China, 1-3m/yr in India
- New wells for Beijing now have to reach 1,000 meters [Executive Intelligence Review]
- Two out of every three people will be short of water by 2025 [WWI & Tearfund]
- Increased aridity may be an natural response to climate warming [The Earth Institute]
15. Severe Earthquakes
there will be great earthquakesLuke 21:11
According to the USGS, link, the world experiences about 50 earthquakes each day and can expect about 17 major earthquakes in any given year.
And there was a great earthquake … and the cities of the nations fell.Revelation 16:18-19
An earthquake of magnitude 8 on the Richter Scale can totally destroy communities near the epicentre, link.
16. Asteroid Impact
And something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea … and a third of the ships were destroyedRevelation 8:8-9
This appears to be a biblical description of a future major asteroid impact in the sea, and, clearly, such an impact will generate a huge tsunami, link. Jesus Himself told us to watch for ‘signs in the stars’ (Lk 21.25). Asteroid impact is certainly a reality. A Potentially Hazardous Asteroid (PHA) has the potential to make close approaches to the Earth and a size large enough to cause significant damage in the event of impact. By March 2014 there were some 1,458 known PHAs, link. It only needs one to hit!
On 15 February 2013, an asteroid some 45m in diameter passed the Earth at a distance of just 27,700 km. This is nearer than a geostationary satellite! On 11 March 2014, asteroid CU13, some 190m wide, passed earth at a distance of 3 million km. A potentially catastrophic asteroid some 410m wide, link has a slim chance that it will impact Earth in 2032, creating a blast 50 times greater than the biggest nuclear bomb.
When faced with a potential impact, Americans are advised to ‘pray’ [Charles Bolden, NASA administrator, March 2013].
17. Bible Prophecy about Israel – the Nation and the Land
This is one of the major signs in end times prophecy:
I will take the children of Israel from among the nations … and bring them into their own landEzekiel 37:21
Israel’s Population: 1900: 0.5m, 2020: 8.7m (an amazing 1700% increase since 1900)
By 586 BC the whole of the nation of Israel had been exiled and scattered amongst the nations. But the Bible predicts that one day Israel will return to her promised land:
- In the last days, Israel will be gathered from many nations, from the north, south, east and west (Isa 43:6, Ps 107:3)
- Israel will be placed in her own land (Ezek 37:12,14)
- Jerusalem will be placed under Jewish rule (Luke 21:24)
- Jerusalem will become the focus of worship for the nations (Zech 14:16)
This has been born out in recent history:
- 1882: first wave of emigration (first ‘Aliyah or ascent) to Palestine, particularly from Russia and Romania
- 1917: General Allenby liberated Jerusalem from the Turks, giving Jews access to the city
- 1948: State of Israel established, David Ben Gurion became the first Prime Minister
- 1950: Law of return passed by Israel’s Parliament – opening Israel to Jews from over 60 countries
- 1967: Jerusalem came under Jewish rule
- 2017: The United States officially recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel
End times prophecy also predicts that Israel will have increasing wealth and prosperity (Isa 60:5,17), link. This too is coming true. Today, Israel is particularly advanced in hi-tech industries such as computer science, electronics, genetics, medicine, optics and solar energy. She mines natural gas, potash, magnesium, copper, gold and phosphates. New natural gas finds, link could supply Israel for more than 20 years. She also has highly developed banking, health, and University systems.
Between 1990 and 2000 Israel’s forest area increased by 61%, compared to a world change of -2% [Earth Trends 2003]. Israel’s agriculture produces apples, pears, peaches, apricots, bananas, mangoes, dates, olives, grapes etc., and it is well known that Israel has a powerful, technically advanced defence force, link.
18. End-time War Against Israel
This end times prophecy involves the whole world. Referring to the end of the age, God says:
I will gather all the nations to battle against JerusalemZechariah 14:2
Today Israel has few friends and is hated by many nations, especially her neighbours. Here’s what her neighbours say:
The battle has come in which we shall destroy Israel [President of Egypt, 1967]
Our goal is clear – to wipe Israel off the map [President of Iraq, 1967]
Israel should be eliminated from the pages of history [President of Iran, 2006]
Israel is a cancerous tumour that should be cut and will be cut [Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, 2012]
You [Zionist regime] will not see 25 years from today! [Iran’s Ayatollah Khamenei, Sept. 2015]
Many Christians see an Islamic/Russian-led invasion of Israel (the “Gog-Magog” war), link, followed by an ‘all-nation’ invasion of Israel (Armageddon).
The following video graphically illustrates many of the above end time signs:
Key End Times Prophecy
- Ezekiel 37 describes how God takes the sons of Israel from among the nations where they were scattered and brings them into their own land. At the same time the land itself becomes very fruitful (Isaiah 51). All this is seen today
- Isaiah 24 (Isaiah’s ‘Little Apocalypse’) describes a world suffering from drought, extreme heat, torrential rain, and pollution. The environment is today’s hot topic
- Daniel 2 describes a great image comprising four empires (kingdoms) that would rule over Israel (Babylonian, Persian, Greek and Roman). The fourth kingdom appears to revive at the end of the age to be a short-lived but ruthless and controlling world government. It is brutal and controlling, like historic Rome. Daniel 7 expands upon this concept
- Revelation 17 describes a controlling false church (mystery Babylon) working alongside a secular world government. The head of this church appears to be the expected Antichrist and imposes cashless trading upon the world (Revelation 13)
- Daniel 9 describes the much-discussed ’70-week’ prophecy (1 week = seven 360-day years). Again this concerns Israel, but is also relevant to the whole world. It appears to describe a political-military-godless world dictator (verse 27) and this is supported in Revelation 13. To align with both historic events (the crucifixion of the Messiah) and with events in today’s world, it appears there is an unspecified time period between week 69 and week 70. In other words, week 70 is seen as still future, but on an historical scale, very close (more at Daniel’s Prophecies)
- Daniel 12 describes an end-time tribulation of the nation Israel, as also implied in Jeremiah 30 and Matthew 24. It also describes events in the world at the close of this age (verse 4). There will be a rapid expansion in knowledge and travel. This has occurred over the past 100 years
- Ezekiel 38 and 39 describe an attack upon regathered Israel from the north. The invaders, Israel’s Islamic neighbours, probably headed by Russia, are defeated. The current political situation in the Middle East appears to align with this threat.
- Zechariah 14 , Revelation 16 and Revelation 19 describe another Middle East war, but this time involving all nations. It is unique in the sense that it is essentially a man-God war. Again, the invaders are defeated
- Matthew 24, Luke 17 and Luke 21 describe increasing world hatred of Jews and Christians, and false prophets leading many astray, followed by increasing distress of nations and cosmic disturbances. These prophecies also imply a miraculous removal of the true church (the rapture) before these end time events.
Now the Good News
The End of the Age and the Return of Jesus Christ
God is Shaking the Nations
After 6,000 years of steady human progression, the global scenario suddenly seems far less certain. From many aspects, life as we have known it suddenly looks threatened. We see demographic, climatic, environmental, financial, social and political instability. We are even aware of possible asteroid impact, link!
The Bible refers to time epochs for this earth; one age comes to an end and another starts. Scholars of Bible prophecy interpret what we are observing as signs of “the end of the age”. Referring to the very end of this age, just before Christ returns to Earth (Matthew 24:29), God says:
Once more … I am going to shake the heavens and the earth, the sea also and the dry land. I will shake all the nations …Haggai 2:6-7
What we observe today appears to be the start of this shaking. Indeed, Jesus confirmed that there will be a definite end to the present age when He told us to watch for certain signs. He said:
When you see all these things (the end time signs), know that it (the Second Coming of Christ) is near – at the doors!Matthew 24:33
What happens then? End times prophecy graphically describes the destruction of the end time World Government, link, along with it’s leader and the judgement of the nations. These events are then immediately followed by the return of Jesus Christ to earth, link. His feet will stand upon the Mount of Olives near Jerusalem.
End times prophecy then points to a ‘Millennial’ age on this earth, where the world is at peace, justice is established, and Christ rules the nations in righteousness from Jerusalem:
And the LORD shall be King over all the earthZechariah 14:9
The good news is that you do not have to go through the trials soon to come upon the earth. Jesus Christ will deliver you from the coming judgement of the nations and the wrath of God if you put your trust in Him.
Download a detailed study of End Time events (the last years of this age) HERE
Download a detailed study of the Millennial Age HERE